Wednesday 6 January 2016

An Intro + Putrid Blightkings pt. 1

I've decided to start writing a blog. This is primarily a means to keep my hobby all in one place and to spur myself to keep busy on my miniatures. So let me introduce myself a little bit before you all get incredibly bored and never visit this page again.

My name's Richard. I live in the UK, with my wife and son - who at the time of writing this is 6 months old and is either pulling his mother's hair in a frantic search for the inner workings of her brain, or asleep. I'm a graphic designer by profession and I love technology.

But that's enough real life stories, that's not why you're here. You're here to gaze at my hard work and steal my ideas and paint schemes (I do the same on other blogs).

I've been into the hobby as long as I can remember. I started stealing my older brother's miniatures (I believe it was a set of three wood elf archers) and painting every possible colour under the sun on them without a base coat (hold on chaps, it gets worse). I distinctly remember painting orange on their cloaks, which at the time I believe was called Blazing Orange - shout out to the retconned Citadel paint range.

After deciding I liked the idea of undead robots in space, my dad bought a box of Necron Warriors and all havoc broke loose... I started using the metal and green paints for Lego sets, and using my Lego sets as scenery. It was a questionable use of Games Workshop's grim-dark-sci-fi-death-bots-in-space. I forgot to mention... I was 11. Cut me some slack. I've collected almost every faction (sans Skaven) at least once since then.

I suppose the primary thing that lured me in to the hobby was the fact I could make just about anything (obviously within limitations, but these were fluff limitations that I adored). The rewarding feeling of a fully painted army is also something I loved, the hours I could pour in and get lost in a world that was ever-expanding.

With further ado - I'd like to share some of my work after returning to the hobby from a 2/3 year long hiatus. Age of Sigmar is actually a primary reason for my return, after a friend bought the AoS Starter Set. I obviously went with the Chaos faction.

I picked up some Putrid Blightkings with the intention to start a Nurgle warband who can ally with the Khorne chaps from the starter set as and when necessary.






There isn't much to say about this unit as I didn't opt for a lot of conversions - although I did replace the large axe you can see on the Blightlord. It's chopped from another weapon, and placed on the polearm for a HUGE GREAT AXE.

A first couple of coats on the Blightlord. I'm experimenting with glazes with this warband.



Process so far: Base: Ceramite White, Base: Ushabti Bone, Glaze all over: Waywatcher Green, Wash in deep wounds and recesses with Reikland Fleshshade. Metal is just a Leadbelcher base with Agrax Earthshade wash followed by highlights of more Leadbelcher.

I've made a lot more progress with this guy, but will hold out for another post another day.

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment