Friday 8 January 2016

I'm not like most Warhammer Fantasy purists...

WARHAMMER - AGE OF SIGMAR. I like to think of it as the Marmite of the tabletop gaming world. 

There are those that love it. Those that hate it. I for one love it. It's reintroduced me back to a hobby full of potential and it's extremely low barrier-of-entry (or in my case - 're-entry') is a refreshing change. Many people have qualms with the un-balanced rules, but I for one think you're perhaps choosing the wrong opponent if your games are monotonous or unfair. 

(PLEASE NOTE: these are first impressions, I've played three games so far, one of which was a major victory (to me, might I add) and the others were rather quick.)

If you need an extra flavour to try and balance it then there are pros and cons to each new balancing dynamic. 
The most shouted about issue is the lack of points. Re-introduce this perspective and it's another way of being fair, yes, but for me this seems a waste of time when you could just have a chat with your opponent about how you want to balance each individual game.
After all, making new indie war scrolls based on a points system quickly assumes that most people you oppose will follow this system, which just isn't the case. For me at least, how my friend and I balanced our games is based on miniature count and wounds. Obviously, there are cons to this approach as well, but it still makes for a great game. Which brings me to my next point...

We seem to be forgetting this is a game primarily based on luck. Taking my 1 major victory as an example - there were many times my friend would of destroyed me with his Stormcast Eternals, but he was unlucky with his dice rolls. Overall, as time went on the game teetered from my favour, to his, and fortunately back to mine. Strangely enough, we were pretty much even on the count of wounds (give or take a few) and at the end of it all... WE HAD FUN.

The fact my friend and I have had a lot of fun straight out of the box with AoS is a standing ovation to GW. 

I realise I'm beginning to sound like a huge Games Workshop fanboy here, so I will just say I disagree with their approach (or their lack of) to their community, but leave that for another day. And leave you with a question. AoS. Love it or hate it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment